I sketched out some logo ideas ranging from very abstract to imagery that is more obvious such as a dog with pilot googles. I though of perhaps having a wordmark as a logo as the name “Breeze” I think is quite catchy and would help the brand name become more recognisable by focusing on the name it’s self
I decided I didn’t want to include any imagery directly relating to animals or travel elements such as planes as to not focus on one function more than the other. I came to the conclusion that a combination mark involving a wordmark and a symbol would be the best bet as I have to come up with the mobile app icon. By combining the brand name with and abstract image I think would be the best approach.
I then carried out the designs into illustrator where I continued developing the logo. I liked the idea of having 3 lines in a wave pattern symbolising the ‘breeze’. The three lines on their own looked a bit odd however to i tried placing them within a circle. Using the pathfinder tool I was left with the lines masked within the circle itself. I liked how this looked and it gave me the possibility to either remove the lines which could allow me to place the logo over a background and have some transparency running behind it which I thought could work nicely.
Further more I thought the word breeze would look nice in a script font hence the smoothness of the typeface reflecting the name appropriately. I looked online for different script fonts and that is when I found this very nice font called “Milkshake” which can be found for free here:
I though the combination of the script word mark and the and the symbol did help to start to encompass the values of my brand I am trying to create.
Once I was happy with both elements I had to play around with the positioning of the text and the symbol to see what worked better.
This is the placement that I think worked best. The symbol sits nicely on top of the wordmark and gives the appearance of being cradled by the text. They work well together and none of the elements is overpowering.
When it came to developing the app icon I used the research of ‘responsive logos’ to my advantage by trying to strip the logo as much as I could. I wanted to retain the three lines of the circle as I thought the plain circle with the ‘B’ on the bottom left looked kind of dull. The top left logo made the letter B get lost within the lines so I tried adding a stroke to the letter as seen on the top right. I thought this looked better. However I continued experimenting and decided to get rid of the lines going through the letter B which added clarity to the letter.
After a little bit of feedback from peers I decided to go with the final version below as it I liked how the lines formed part of the letter combing the piece into one.