A lot of the time when using a mobile app I am not analysing it and thinking of the design and of all the different elements that went into putting such an app together, in fact I think I would mainly start to take notice of things only if the design is poor. But purposely analysing different applications on my phone I was able to see what makes a good app work.
Some of the things that I picked up on were:
- clear navigation ( prominent navigation bars, search bars)
- navigation crumbs (letting the user know where they are)
- information is structured properly (information hierarchy, headings, sections)
- layouts and spacing (taking advantage of side scrolls to make the best use of space)
- Overlay screens and drop down menus
- prominent buttons or functional elements