I want to start focusing on the design aspect of my app by doing so I have carried out some research into mobile app aesthetics. I found an interesting article outlining the benefits of having an aesthetically pleasing app. In this article it describes how popular apps have achieved this. Some of the recurring themes amongst making these successfully designed apps were:
- Prioritise the user experience instead of pushing the branding
- Pay close attention the the icon design. The icon is the first thing app store visitors see.
- Stick to the tried and tested iconography.
- Less is more: it’s not always necessary to have loud branding or over the top graphics Sometimes, it’s better to let the core functionality of the app do the talking
- minimalism (don’t clutter app with unnecessary elements)
- design should be intuitive for the user
- consistency and cohesiveness through out the design