I have had a look at current APP design trends to get an understanding of what direction apps are heading in. The website below talks about different design aspects that I should keep in mind and implement on my project. Some of these points are:
Designing for Bigger Screens
- keep in mind the ‘phablet’ market. Bigger phones like the iphone 6 plus are expected to become more common.
- comfortable thumb reach is decreased with bigger phone screens affecting navigation
Simplified User Interface
- no more skeuomorphic design
- flat design, minimalism
- highlight and maximise white space to focus users attention on other elements.
- clarity and simplicity
Swiping Replaces Other Gestures
- swiping is the most natural navigation
- card layouts are good for this type of navigation
- animating elements increases sense of interaction
- hamburger menus
- makes experience more dynamic
- html5 animations and parallax design
- content overlay to focus users attention to specific content
- important to not overuse as they can interfere with navigation
- used to confirm an action or decision
- provide a specific look at piece of content
- horizontal, vertical, modular, and parallax scrolling, and hidden navigation
Storytelling and Branding
- Highlighting the user with a highly customizable app experience
- Incorporating new or emerging technologies (think Apple Pay)
- Keeping the experience local and relevant
Increased Emphasis on Typography
- With more fonts available, attention to typography can be increased.
Fresh Color Palettes
- Material design colour schemes
- App designs will move away from monochromatic palettes to more diverse and vibrant colour schemes.