Magazine Development

I wanted to create a magazine article as part of a ‘local magazine’ not a food magazine because i wanted to focus on people as well as the food. Even though I didn’t base it on a real magazine it is meant to be a local south kent magazine with the target audience being the surrounding area. The article would be about international restaurants and the international citizens working within these restaurants in Tunbridge Wells.

In indesign I started off using the dimensions off a food magazine I had but after playing around with layouts initially struggling to use the images at their full potential I decided to design the layout of my made up magazine to work with the dimensions of my photos.

Using these settings I arrived at a good layout that I could work with. Below are spreads I did using the the first document set up.

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 22.03.37

Here the layout works well with the images and text flowing well. The headings could be increased in size. Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 22.04.29

This is the sort of layout I preferred to go with using the image itself to unite the pages and have a good amount of space too so the article can sit nicely. The only problem here was that the page dimensions caused me to crop the image a lot there for it was not at its full potential.Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 22.04.47

I was able to take better photos in some of the restaurants due to different circumstances during the individual shoots. This was something that also affected my photography as mentioned before in my previous post. Due to this some of the articles worked better by displaying several images at once but some didn’t.

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 22.05.03

This is an example of where I didn’t achieve as good as photos as I would have liked or at least in comparison to the ones from other restaurants. It was my fault really but I struggled a little to get the best shots I could in the narrow kitchen and didn’t take enough photos. The layout itself is a bit experimental placing the photo into a shape. I wasn’t very happy with this layout as there is too much going on a feels cluttered.

After doing some test prints I also got a better sense of the type size and how the layout was or wasn’t working. I also got feed back from my tutors to see how I could improve them. I wasn’t convinced by them and mainly because I couldn’t find a layout that would work with the three spreads keeping them looking consistent.  I also realised that I was focusing a little too much on showing many photos in stead of just some showing just enough detail and letting the images them selfs do be.

By realising this I was able to just revert back to using just the photos that work and that is also why I redesigned the dimensions of my magazine ‘South Kent Magazine’ to work better with my photos instead. This is a luxury I can allow myself right now as this is a uni project, but if this was for a real client the dimensions of the magazine would of course be set and I have had to plan my photos around that.

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 22.48.55Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 22.49.36Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 22.49.23Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 22.49.58

 

These were my final layout out comes after a lot more tweaking and test printing. I think these layouts allow my to use the photos I have to their full potential while helping keep the spreads consistent. I used large margins intentionally to allow for space. I think the text sit comfortably on a single column (three column combination of original 6 column layout) as the width is appropriate and allowed for a nice space between the image and the article.

Typography

For my body text I went with sans serif Century Gothic 10pts at 14pt leading. For the captions I placed them at 9pts and a leading of 13pts. I think this is a nice sans serif typeface and works very well, its easily legible and looks clean.

For my headings I tried out different things to see what could work. I decided I needed to go for something slightly more decorative that could be used consistently though out all my headings. Through my research I found that food magazines tend to have a lot of script fonts of other more decorative typefaces setting a tone to the article of being light and relaxed. I didn’t end up going for something too decorative as mine is not a food magazine by I still kept my headings reflecting something similar in style using a combination of sans serif and serif fonts.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s