Poster development

When I started to develop my posters past the initial sketches and putting them through illustrator or Photoshop, I realised that some of my ideas may not work or may be too technical for them to be a realistic option given the time span. I started off all of my posters by using a grid to help keep everything spaced correctly. Previous sketches of all of the following designs can be found on

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I began working with an idea I had visualised very clearly in my head but unfortunately I realised after I completed it that it wouldn’t work according to the brief because I used the title “Type Tour” instead! Regardless I think it ended up quite nicely and I could use it as part of my research and development for further posters. For this one I used the out-line of a “T” using the font Times New Roman. I used that “T” to create a clipping mask of several of my images creating the letter out of them. I wanted to show several varieties of typography found in my photographs.

I created a shadow “T” using the “skew” tool on illustrator, that shape helped create the “T” for “tour” as for the rest of the text on “type tour” it was made using Arial font. Using the gridlines I placed the rest of the information at the bottom right of the page. I tried using a limited colour scheme for this poster apart for the clipped photos within the T. After completing this poster I played around with different colour combinations.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

For my second poster I used my signpost idea. I started expanding the bottom of the signpost using the clone tool to fill more of the dead space at the bottom of the poster. As I started playing around with the words on the sign its self and trying to replicate the type it was instantly obvious that it would be more complicated than I initially thought. The different arms of the signpost would allow me to incorporate some multi-directional text like the ones I saw on my previous research. Trying to find similar fonts, I had to do some research into what fonts are used in the London street signs and I was able to find the appropriate font called DIN Schriften Engschrift designed by Linotype Staff in Germany for road and railway signs. Unfortunately this font was expensive so I decided to use the second closest font I found, Univers Std Condensed Bold designed by Adrian Frutiger. This font worked nicely, and after I played around with the spacing in the letters it almost looked like the real thing. I had to skew the text to make it look like it was at the same angle at the sign post, each line was at its own perspective of course. After getting the angles right I had to play around with the opacity and add some motion blur in order to help increase the blending with the original image. I was not sure what to do with all the dead space I was left with. I thought of replacing the background with another one of my photographs, grey scaling and adding a tone to it.

After looking back at this design it doesn’t seem to be as effective as I would have liked. Even though I liked the results looked, It wasn’t what I needed. The information was too small, and not noticeable enough to be seen unless paying closer attention to the image. Using this idea didn’t allow me much space to manipulate the type size and font to be more loud and obvious as well to differentiate more between the information provided.  I could develop this idea by cropping the image to show a closer look of one of the arms of the signpost in order to make the type bigger and more visible and at the same time getting rid of most of the dead space. The rest of the background would include another one of my photographs like the previous one or a collage, grey scaled and with a colour overlay.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

For my third poster I used my savoy arc photo. For this idea I thought I would keep it quite simple. Focusing on the idea that the Savoy typography would be the main focus that should hopefully attract the viewer when first viewing it. I didn’t want the whole word to be legible so as not to distract from the title but leaving just enough letters to create a nice image.  To create this effect I cropped the image only focusing on a few letters. I created a boarder using simple rectangular shapes and adjusting them to the grid. I added a layer mask and revealed the overlapping type in the boarders helping the image pop out more. This ended up looking good but I think it would have worked better if the type was popping out more prominently but I wasn’t able to achieve that using the photos I had taken. For the main title at the top I used Times font and added a few effects to them such as bevel & emboss, texture and contour. I did a mask gradient at the top of the image for it to blend into a white background making the text more legible. The rest of the text I placed at the bottom right of the photo as there was already some dead space on that corner.

I think all of these ideas can definitely be developed further even by making simple changes. I could play around with the fonts more, doing things like adding more than one font can look good. I also think that in all of my ideas I need to emphasise more or include somehow the message that this tour is based in “the Strand” and its not just London in general.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s